THE MAD VISIONS OF AL-HAZRED
About 730 AD, an Arab named Abdul Al-Hazred wrote the Al-Azif, a grimoire and memorial to the Old Ones. For this crime, he was driven insane and eventually devoured by a vengeful god in full view of horrified onlookers. What drove him to write this loathsome tome? What terrible visions haunted him so badly he felt he had to risk his soul to put them down on paper?
Reveal the visions of Abdul Al-Hazred to us. Explain why the Al-Azif had to be written and why its translation, the Necronomicon, has circulated in secret societies ever since. Expose the secrets Al-Hazred uncovered in his ten years alone in the Roba El Kaliyeh, the Empty Space of the Ancients. Tell us what you know about the occult dealings he witnessed that drove him to spend those last years in Damascus as a hermit dedicated only to finishing his cursed volume.
We recognize that horror requires a certain amount of leeway on some things, but be warned. We look down on overuse of specific issues. These include:
• Sexual content not inherent to the storyline. No pornography. Keep your tentacles to yourself.
• Explicit description of torture or sacrifice, human or otherwise. As a plot device, there is a way to present this without resorting to splatter.
• Violence or abuse against a minor, infant to teenager.
• Overuse of profane language. People curse. But not every sentence.
• Hate language against a race, creed, or gender. Against monstrous races and gods, that’s okay.
• Quoting previously published material not in the public domain. This is a legal issue and will not be tolerated at all.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Please be advised, any stories that do not meet these guidelines will be deleted unread. If you can’t follow these simple instructions, we think you might want to find somewhere else to send your work.
ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS.
• 3,000 to 10,000 words, double-spaced, 12 pt Times New Roman font.
• First page of manuscript must contain name, mailing address, and word count.
• Email subject line to read “Story submission – [title]” and must contain a short biography (no more than 200 words), previous publications if any, word count and contact information.
• No reprints, simultaneous or multiple submissions.
• No poetry.
• Email submissions in RTF or DOC format only. Absolutely no DOCX files.
Email all submissions to email@example.com with manuscript as an attachment.
Do not include the story in the body of the email.
Closing date for submissions is 30 June 2017.
Payment will be $25.00 per story, regardless of word count and will be made via PayPal whenever possible. If not, please advise upon receipt of contract as to preferred method. Direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Looking forward to seeing your work!